- Country: Japan
- Genres: Crime, Drama, Mystery
- Release: 1951-12-26
- Director: Akira Kurosawa
- Writers: Ryûnosuke Akutagawa , Shinobu Hashimoto
- Language: Japanese
- Stars: Toshirô Mifune , Machiko Kyô , Masayuki Mori , Takashi Shimura
- Runtime: 88 min
- Awards: Nominated for 1 Oscar. Another 9 wins & 4 nominations.
- AKA: Rashomon (Canada) , 羅生門 (Taiwan) , Rašomon (Croatia) , Às Portas do Inferno (Portugal, Portuguese Republic) , Rashomon (Romania) , Rašomon (Slovakia (Slovak Republic)) , Η γκέισα και ο σαμουράι (Greece) , Rashomon (Uruguay, Eastern Republic of) , Rashomon (Argentina) , Rashomon (South Africa) , Rashomon - demonernas port (Sweden) , Расёмон (Russian Federation) , V gozdu (Slovenia) , Rashou-mon (Japan) , Rashomon (El bosque ensangrentado) (Spain) , Rashomon (New Zealand) , Rasomon: Sarı Irkın Şehveti (Turkey) , Rashômon , Rashomon (Poland) , Demonenes port (Norway) , Рашьомон (Ukraine) , Rashomon , Rashomon (Spain) , Demonernas port (Sweden) , A vihar kapujában (Hungary) , Rashomon (United Kingdom) , 羅生門 (Japan) , Rashomon (United States of America) , Рашомон (Serbia) , Rašomon (Czech Republic) , Rashomon - paholaisen temppeli (Finland) , Lã Sinh Môn (Vietnam) , Rashomon (Austria) , Rashomon (Brazil) , V gozdu , Rashomon , Rashomon - paholaisen portti (Finland) , Rashomon - Das Lustwäldchen (Germany) , Rashomon (Peru) , Rashomon (Italy) , Rashomon (Mexico) , Rashomon (Canada) , Das Lustwäldchen , Rashomon - demonernas port (Finland) , Rashomon (Ireland) , Rasciomon (Italy) , Rašomon , Rašomon , U šumi , Ρασομόν (Greece) , Rashomon - Dæmonernes port (Denmark) , Рашомон (Bulgaria) , Rashomon (India) , Rashomon (Australia) , Rashomon - Das Lustwäldchen , Rasiomonas (Lithuania)A vihar kapujában, Às Portas do Inferno, Das Lustwäldchen, Demonenes port, Demonernas port, I geisa ki o samurai, Lã Sinh Môn, Rasciomon, Rashomon - Das Lustwäldchen, Rashomon - Dæmonernes port, Rashomon - demonernas port, Rashomon - Paholaisen portti, Rashomon - paholaisen temppeli, Rashomon el bosque ensangrentado, Rashou-mon, Rašomon, Rasomon: Sari Irkin Sehveti, Η γκέισα και ο σαμουράι, Расёмон, Рашомон, 罗生门, 羅生門
- Plot: A priest, a woodcutter and another man are taking refuge from a rainstorm in the shell of a former gatehouse called Rashômon. The priest and the woodcutter are recounting the story of a murdered samurai whose body the woodcutter discovered three days earlier in a forest grove. Both were summoned to testify at the murder trial, the priest who ran into the samurai and his wife traveling through the forest just before the murder occurred. Three other people who testified at the trial are supposedly the only direct witnesses: a notorious bandit named Tajômaru, who allegedly murdered the samurai and raped his wife; the white veil cloaked wife of the samurai; and the samurai himself who testifies through the use of a medium. The three tell a similarly structured story - that Tajômaru kidnapped and bound the samurai so that he could rape the wife - but which ultimately contradict each other, the motivations and the actual killing being what differ. The woodcutter reveals at Rashômon that he knows more than he let on at the trial, thus bringing into question his own actions. But another discovery at Rashômon and the resulting actions from the discovery bring back into focus the woodcutter's own humanity or lack thereof.
Buy Rashômon Poster
All Rashômon Movie Posters (33)