Buy Whale Rider Poster
Whale Rider (2002)
- AKA: A bálnalovas, A Domadora de Baleias, Balinanin Sirtinda, Encantadora de Baleias, Jahacica kitova, Jezdziec wielorybów, Jinete de ballenas, La légende des baleines, La leyenda de las ballenas, La ragazza delle balene, Legenda o jezdecu kitov, Paï, Te kaieke tohora, To simadi tis falainas, Valasratsastaja, Το Σημάδι της Φάλαινας, Момичето което яздеше китове, Оседлавший кита, 驭鲸少女, 鲸骑士, 鲸鱼骑士
- Country: Germany, New Zealand
- IMDB Rating: 7.6
- Genres: Drama, Family
- Release: 2003-08-29
- Director: Niki Caro
- Writers: Niki Caro , Witi Ihimaera (book)
- Language: English | Maori
- Stars: Keisha Castle-Hughes , Rawiri Paratene , Vicky Haughton , Cliff Curtis
- Runtime: 101 min
- Awards: Nominated for 1 Oscar. Another 33 wins & 34 nominations.
- Plot: On the east coast of New Zealand, the Whangara people believe their presence there dates back a thousand years or more to a single ancestor, Paikea, who escaped death when his canoe capsized by riding to shore on the back of a whale. From then on, Whangara chiefs, always the first-born, always male, have been considered Paikea's direct descendants. Pai, an 11-year-old girl in a patriarchal New Zealand tribe, believes she is destined to be the new chief. But her grandfather Koro is bound by tradition to pick a male leader. Pai loves Koro more than anyone in the world, but she must fight him and a thousand years of tradition to fulfill her destiny.