- Country: Argentina, France, Mexico, Spain
- Genres: Drama, Horror
- Release: 2001-04-20
- Director: Guillermo del Toro
- Writers: Antonio Trashorras , David Muñoz
- Language: Spanish
- Stars: Marisa Paredes , Eduardo Noriega , Federico Luppi , Fernando Tielve
- Runtime: 106 min
- Awards: 6 wins & 7 nominations.
- AKA: Djævlens rygrad (Denmark) , Das Rückgrat des Teufels (Germany) , The Devil's Backbone (United States of America) , Paholaisen selkäranka (Finland) , Ördöggerinc (Hungary) , The Devil's Backbone (Sweden) , Sti rahi tou Diavolou (Greece) , La spina del diavolo (Italy) , Velnio stuburas (Lithuania) , Şeytanın Belkemiği (Turkey) , A Espinha do Diabo (Brazil) , Spectrul razbunarii (Romania) , Хребет дьявола (Russian Federation) , El espinazo del diablo (Mexico) , Хребет диявола (Ukraine) , I rahokokalia tou diavolou (Greece) , デビルズ・バックボーン (Japan) , Đavolja kralježnica (Croatia) , Στη ράχη του διαβόλου (Greece) , Kręgosłup diabła (Poland) , The Devil's Backbone (United Kingdom) , L'échine du diable (Canada) , Гръбнакът на дявола (Bulgaria) , Nas Costas do Diabo (Portugal, Portuguese Republic) , The Devil's Backbone , Đavolja kičma (Serbia) , L'échine du diable (France, French Republic) , El espinazo del diablo , El espinazo del diablo (Spain) , The Devil's Backbone (Finland) , Djevelens ryggrad (Norway) , The Devil's Backbone , The Devil's Backbone (Denmark)A Espinha do Diabo, Das Rückgrat des Teufels, Djævlens rygrad, Đavolja kičma, Đavolja kralježnica, I rahokokalia tou diavolou, Kregoslup diabla, L'échine du diable, La spina del diavolo, Nas Costas do Diabo, Ördöggerinc, Paholaisen selkäranka, Seytanin Belkemigi, Sti rahi tou Diavolou, The Devil's Backbone, Στη ράχη του διαβόλου, Гръбнакът на дявола, Хребет дьявола, 恶魔的脊椎骨, 鬼童院, 魔童魅影
- Plot: It is 1939, the end of three years of bloody civil war in Spain, and General Franco's right-wing Nationalists are poised to defeat the left-wing Republican forces. A ten-year-old boy named Carlos, the son of a fallen Republican war hero, is left by his tutor in an orphanage in the middle of nowhere. The orphanage is run by a curt but considerate headmistress named Carmen and a kindly Professor Casares, both of whom are sympathetic to the doomed Republican cause. Despite their concern for him, and his gradual triumph over the usual schoolhouse bully, Carlos never feels completely comfortable in his new environment. First of all, there was that initial encounter with the orphanage's nasty caretaker, Jacinto, who reacts even more violently when anyone is caught looking around a particular storage room the one with the deep well. Second, and more inexplicable, is the presence of a ghost, one of the former occupants of the orphanage named Santi. Not long after Carlos' arrival, Santi latches onto Carlos, badgering him incessantly at night and gloomily intoning, "Many of you will die." As if that wasn't enough to keep the orphanage's occupants in an unrelenting state of terror, there's the un-exploded bomb that dominates the orphanage's courtyard, still ticking away; With the orphanage left defenseless by its isolation, and the swift progression of Franco's troops, the ghost's prediction seems depressingly accurate. Nevertheless, with every step of the plot, it becomes apparent that the ghost's predictions as to who (or what) will die, the real source of danger and even the definition of death itself may be more ambiguous than first thought.
Buy El espinazo del diablo Poster
All El espinazo del diablo Movie Posters (16)