Buy The City Stands Trial Poster
The City Stands Trial (1952)
- AKA: Åklagaren, Cidade da Pardição, Das Lied vom Verrat, Katigoro tin politeia, Les coupables, Proces mod en by, Proces przeciw miastu, Processo Contra a Cidade, Prozeß in Neapel, Stadt ohne Moral, 满城风雨
- Country: Italy
- IMDB Rating: 7.5
- Genres: Crime, Drama, Mystery
- Director: Luigi Zampa
- Writers: Suso Cecchi D'Amico (screenplay) , Diego Fabbri (screenplay) , Ettore Giannini (screenplay) , Ettore Giannini (story) , Francesco Rosi (story) , Turi Vasile (screenplay) , Luigi Zampa (screenplay)
- Language: Italian
- Stars: Amedeo Nazzari , Silvana Pampanini , Paolo Stoppa , Dante Maggio
- Runtime: 103 min
- Awards: 3 wins.
- Plot: Turn-of-the-century Naples. Salvatore Ruotolo and his wife are murdered and their bodies are found in different locations. Since the evidence points to a crime by the Neapolitan crime organization, the Camorra, fear and corruption cause serious hindrances to the investigation by police authorities. In charge is a young and courageous judge who, using evidence discovered by chance, tries to reconstruct the story of the double murder. The plot that the judge must unravel is very complicated. Many people are questioned, even those apparently above suspicion. Deciding to get to the bottom of the matter, the judge keeps all the suspects under arrest, causing a backlash of public opinion. But in the face of passive resistance which he finds everywhere, even from his own colleagues and family, he begins to feel discouraged and is about to give up the investigation when a new piece of evidence comes to light. The information causes the death of an innocent man, but it revives in the judge the conscience of his own responsibility. He carries on with the case regardless, even if it means placing under house arrest the entire city.